As the field of higher education marketing and recruitment grows, we’re updating this list of resources across a range of topics. Please feel free to send anything we’ve missed to firstname.lastname@example.org!
|NAGAP Annual Conference: This conference features dynamic speakers and provides numerous opportunities to learn new approaches, receive updated information on all aspects of graduate enrollment management, share useful tips, exchange creative ideas, and network.|
|August 30-September 2
|EUPRIO Conference: EUPRIO has representatives in 14 European countries, with members and supporters in even more. At the annual conference, experts, speakers, and communication professionals from all over the world come together to discuss and develop leading practices within the field of international higher education communication.|
| July 29-August 2
|CASE Summer Institute in Communications and Marketing: One of many events offered by CASE, this conference provides higher education communications and marketing professionals the opportunity to brush up on their skills and learn new ones.|
|eduWeb Digital Summit: One of the largest events for anyone involved with the design, development, marketing, strategy, and implementation of their online presence within higher education.|
|CASE Europe Annual Conference: Europe’s largest gathering of alumni relations, communications, development, fundraising, and marketing professionals.|
|NACAC National Conference: This conference provides a forum for the college admissions community, with over 5,500 secondary and postsecondary college admission counseling professionals in attendance.|
|HighEdWeb Annual Conference: An annual conference for higher education web professionals, including programmers, marketers, designers, and other team members who want to explore the unique web issues facing colleges and universities.|
|AACRAO Strategic Enrollment Management Conference: The premier event for strategic enrollment management professionals.|
Las Vegas, NV
|Symposium for the Marketing of Higher Education (American Marketing Association): This is the most comprehensive conference targeted exclusively to higher education marketers, with sessions focused on topics such as new methods of marketing, effective uses of social media, and the creation of strong university brands. By virtue of its focus on marketing in higher education, this is a more intimate event which delves deeply into topics of interest to experienced industry professionals.|
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Offices (AACRAO): This organization represents more than 11,000 higher education admissions and registration professionals from the United States and 40 other countries around the world, and provides a range of events, publications, and services.
- American Marketing Association (AMA): In addition to hosting relevant events and putting out insightful publications and newsletters, the AMA has designated a section of its comprehensive resource library for higher education marketing.
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE): This organization is focused on supporting professionals working in the areas of alumni relations, communications, development, marketing, and recruitment.
- National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC): This membership organization boasts award-winning publications and other media resources, as well as professional development programs and practical research efforts designed to support counseling and admission professionals.
- National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals (NAGAP): The only professional organization devoted exclusively to the concerns of individuals working in graduate enrollment management, NAGAP offers members events, publications, and mentoring.
Books and Journals
- Content Strategy for the Web: This book by Kristina Halvorson and Melissa Rach is a great overview or refresher of content strategy for anyone involved in writing or managing their institution’s website.
- GATE-Germany International Higher Ed Marketing Series: This multi-part book series (mostly in German) goes in-depth on international higher ed marketing as well as recruiting from particular regional markets.
- Journal of Marketing for Higher Education: This internationally oriented, biannually published academic journal prints original research and review articles on marketing in higher education.
- Marketing Colleges and Universities: A Services Approach: This book, published by CASE and written by globally renowned integrated marketing and branding expert Thomas J. Hayes, reconsiders higher ed marketing from a unique perspective by looking at higher education institutions as service organizations.
- Marketing Higher Education: Theory and Practice: This book by Felix Maringe explores how higher education institutions can compete in global market economies and examines the relationship between education and its marketing.
- Shakespeare, Einstein, and the Bottom Line: The Marketing of Higher Education: This book by David L. Kirp takes us on a cross-country tour of the most powerful trend in academic life today – the rise of business values and the belief that efficiency, immediate practical usefulness, and marketplace triumph are the best measures of a university’s success.
Websites and Blogs
- Bob Johnson’s Blog on Higher Education Marketing: Also available as a newsletter, this covers news and trends, and offers concrete tips for universities.
- Higher Ed Live is a free webcast service, with short videos on topics around online marketing and recruitment.
- HighEdWeb Association: Resources and conferences for professionals working on higher education websites. LINK is their “Journal of Higher Education Web Professionals.”
- Higher Ed Marketing: A blog about marketing and public relations in higher education, written by Andrew Careaga, a university communications director.
- Higher Education Marketing and Enrollment Management: A blog about strategy, marketing, and technology insight for higher education professionals, written by Tim Copeland.
- Marketing Checklists: This great series of checklists (in German) from GATE-Germany includes tips for websites and other marketing materials targeting international students, and covers topics such as design, content, target audiences, and relationship marketing.
- Ed Tatton: @etatton
- HighEdWeb: @highedweb
- Pete Cashmore: @petecashmore
- Robert Clay: @marketingwizdom
- Social Media Today: @socialmedia2day
- The Education Marketing Group
- EAIE: Marketing & Recruitment
- Higher Education Public Relations and Marketing Group
- International Student Recruiting
- Web 2.0 for Higher Education